With more than 20 million residents and 100 million annual visitors, Florida is no stranger to bizarre events and unusual crimes… As endless headlines flood social media every day, only a lucky few will rise to the top of the news feed.
What news stories do Floridians really care about? And which media outlets are reporting on those stories?
To answer these questions, we recently launched a new series called, “What’s Trending in Florida News?”
Each week, our digital media gurus round up the most viral Florida news — curated by views, comments and shares — so you can see what other Floridians are talking about with their friends and family.
So… What was trending over the last week? Let’s find out.
TRENDING ON FACEBOOK
1. Florida nurse tells it like it is, rants about the “Funky Flu.”
2. Six more weeks of winter? Not in the Sunshine State.
3. Catch him if you can! Florida man runs out of a store with a $60,000 chain around his neck.
4. After 16 days at sea, a man rescued near West Palm Beach tells his story.
TRENDING ON TWITTER
1. A federal judge rules that Florida’s policy prohibiting felons from voting is unconstitutional.
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) February 1, 2018
2. In an effort to combat Zika, lab-bred mosquitoes will be released in South Florida.
— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) January 30, 2018
3. What do former politicians do with unspent campaign contributions? The results are gravely shocking…
A shocking investigation into what former politicians and their staffers do with unspent campaign contributions long after their careers – and sometimes their lives – are over. With @10NewsWTSP @TEGNA #ZombieCampaigns @jaketapper @andersoncooper https://t.co/7YEpetsoFJ pic.twitter.com/PcJcJWr6t7
— Tampa Bay Times (@TB_Times) February 1, 2018