What news stories do Floridians really care about these days?
To address this burning question, we’ve kicked off a new series called, “What’s Trending in Florida News?”
Each week, our digital media gurus will be rounding up the most viral Florida news, helping you to stay up-to-date on the stories that matter … according to social media.
So what was trending over the last week? Lots of football, fishing, and the infamous Florida man.
TRENDING ON FACEBOOK
1. A hippopotamus is born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
2. Three people jump overboard just seconds before a motorboat collides head on with their fishing boat.
3. Crystal Lagoon in Wesley Chapel celebrates its grand opening; opens to swimmers this spring.
4. The Jacksonville Jaguars put up a good fight, but ultimately lose against the New England Patriots.
5. Dozens are arrested during ‘Bikes Up, Guns Down’ rideout in South Florida.
6. Protesters gather in Palm Beach for the inaugural Impeachment March to Mar-A-Lago.
TRENDING ON TWITTER
1. A year after discovering foods that could sicken people, President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club is cited by inspectors for poor maintenance.
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) January 15, 2018
2. A Tampa man under the influence mistakes a bank drive-through for Taco Bell and attempts to order a burrito.
— Tampa Bay Times (@TB_Times) January 19, 2018
3. More than 100 Cincinnati Bengals fans donate to the Blake Bortles Foundation to say thanks to the Jacksonville Jaguars for beating the Pittsburgh Steelers.
— First Coast News (@FCN2go) January 16, 2018
4. Nine Florida State University fraternity members are charged in the death of Andrew Coffey.
BREAKING: The Tallahassee Police Department has said they’ve announced arrest warrants for nine people in the death of Andrew Coffey.
The nine people face charges of hazing cause injury or death.
— WCTV Eyewitness News (@WCTV) January 17, 2018